Through the National Public Education Programme, the National Emergency Management Agency and Civil Defence Emergency Management (CDEM) Groups work together to educate and motivate New Zealanders to be better prepared.
The National Public Education Programme
The National Public Education Programme is a staged, targeted, evidence-based approach, with resources developed and adapted to suit different channels, with a particular focus on reaching our most vulnerable audiences.
- Find out more about the National Public Education Programme
- 2016-2019 strategy overview (.pdf 562kb)
National Public Education Reference Group
The National Public Education Reference Group is made up of representatives of the National Emergency Management Agency and each of the regional CDEM Groups. The Reference Group plays a key role in developing the long-term strategy for the public education programme.
The Get Ready website (getready.govt.nz) has information for the public on:
- How to get ready for an emergency at home, at work and at school.
- What the different natural hazards are in New Zealand and what you should do before, during or after each one.
- How to stay informed in an emergency.
- How to get involved and get your community ready.