Legislation relating to Civil Defence Emergency Management (CDEM) is not just limited to the Civil Defence Emergency Management Act 2002. A number of other Acts also play a role in CDEM.
The Civil Defence Emergency Management Act 2002 creates a framework within which New Zealand can prepare for, deal with, and recover from local, regional and national emergencies.
In 2016 the Civil Defence Emergency Management Act 2002 was amended to strengthen the legislative framework for recovery to help communities get back on their feet more quickly after an emergency.
- Find out more about the Civil Defence Emergency Management Act 2002
- Find out more about the 2016 amendments to the Civil Defence Emergency Management Act 2002
On 13 May 2020 changes to the Civil Defence Emergency Management Act 2002 were made to ensure a nationally consistent approach to the response to and management of risks arising from COVID-19, and to better deal with concurrent emergencies during COVID-19. These changes are in place until up to 12 May 2022 (two years from commencement of the COVID-19 Public Health response Act 2020), unless revoked earlier.
The CDEM Regulations 2003 came into force on 1 June 2003.
- The form and use of the civil defence logo
- The form for search warrants
- The forms for declaring, extending, and terminating a state of national or local emergency.
- The forms for giving notice of, extending and terminating a national or local transition period.
Legislation relating to CDEM is not just limited to the Civil Defence Emergency Management Act 2002. A number of other Acts also play a role in CDEM by, for example, regulating activities of particular CDEM participants, assisting in land use planning, hazard identification and management, and emergency response. These Acts may be useful as reference points for those wanting additional information about a particular issue in the CDEM Act 2002. They include (but are not limited to) the:
- Biosecurity Act 1993
- Building Act 2004
- Defence Act 1990
- Earthquake Commission Act 1993
- Epidemic Preparedness Act 2006
- Fire and Emergency New Zealand Act 2017
- Greater Christchurch Regeneration Act 2016
- Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996
- Health Act 1956
- Health and Safety at Work Act 2015
- Local Government Act 2002
- Maritime Transport Act 1994
- Public Works Act 1981
- Resource Management Act 1991