What to do when a volcanic eruption threatens
- Listen to your local radio stations as emergency management officials will be broadcasting the most appropriate advice for your community and situation.
- Put your emergency plan into action.
- If you have a disability or need assistance, make contact with your support network and keep informed of civil defence advice.
- Put all machinery inside a garage or shed, or cover with large tarpaulins to protect them from volcanic ash.
- Bring animals and livestock into closed shelters to protect them from volcanic ash.
- Protect sensitive electronics and do not uncover until the environment is totally ash-free.
- Check on friends and neighbours who may require special assistance.
Links to information about:
Get Ready volcanic activity information https://getready.govt.nz/en/emergency/volcanic-activity/
Food safety in an emergency https://www.mpi.govt.nz/funding-rural-support/adverse-events/food-safety-in-natural-disasters-and-emergencies/
State Highway conditions http://www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/
Volcano monitoring www.geonet.org.nz
Volcanic damage insurance www.eqc.govt.nz
Science of volcanoes www.gns.cri.nz