What to do during a flood or if a flood is imminent
- Listen to your local radio stations as emergency management officials will be broadcasting the most appropriate advice for your community and situation.
- If you have a disability or need support, make contact with your support network.
- Put your household emergency plan into action and check your getaway kit. Be prepared to evacuate quickly if it becomes necessary.
- Where possible, move pets inside or to a safe place, and move stock to higher ground.
- Consider using sandbags to keep water away from your home.
- Lift valuable household items and chemicals as high above the floor as possible.
- Fill bathtubs, sinks and storage containers with clean water in case water becomes contaminated.
- Turn off utilities if told to do so by authorities as it can help prevent damage to your home or community. Unplug small appliances to avoid damage from power surges.
- Do not attempt to drive or walk through floodwaters unless it is absolutely essential.
Links to information about:
Get Ready Get Thru flood information www.getthru.govt.nz/disasters/flood
Food safety in an emergency http://www.foodsafety.govt.nz/elibrary/industry/Food_Safety-Recent_Around.htm
State Highway conditions http://www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/
Weather warnings and forecasts www.metservice.com