What to do during a storm
- Stay informed on weather updates. Listen to your local radio stations as civil defence authorities will be broadcasting the most appropriate advice for your community and situation.
- Put your household emergency plan into action and check your getaway kit in case you have to leave in a hurry.
- Secure, or move indoors, all items that could get blown about and cause harm in strong winds.
- Close windows, external and internal doors. Pull curtains and drapes over unprotected glass areas to prevent injury from shattered or flying glass.
- If the wind becomes destructive, stay away from doors and windows and shelter further inside the house.
- Water supplies can be affected so it is a good idea to store drinking water in containers and fill bathtubs and sinks with water.
- Don't walk around outside and avoid driving unless absolutely necessary.
- Power cuts are possible in severe weather. Unplug small appliances which may be affected by electrical power surges. If power is lost unplug major appliances to reduce the power surge and possible damage when power is restored.
- Bring pets inside. Move stock to shelter. If you have to evacuate, take your pets with you.
Links to information about:
Get Ready Get Thru storm information http://www.getthru.govt.nz/disasters/storms
Food safety in an emergency http://www.foodsafety.govt.nz/elibrary/industry/Food_Safety-Recent_Around.htm
Weather warnings and forecasts www.metservice.com
State Highway conditions http://www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/
Storm insurance www.eqc.govt.nz