Guidelines and technical standards issued under the CDEM Act 2002.
The purpose of these guidelines is to assist organisations with responsibilities under the Act to properly exercise those responsibilities.
The Director has issued guidelines and standards on a wide range of CDEM – related issues. They are grouped in different series as follows.
Director's Guidelines provide guidance and advice on how a function defined by legislation or national planning arrangements should be performed.
- DGL 1/02 The Formation of CDEM Groups (pdf 383kB) [PDF, 384 KB]
- DGL 4/05 Recovery Management (pdf 1.0MB) [PDF, 1 MB]
- DGL 06/08 Response Management: Director's Guideline for CDEM Group and Local Controllers (Revised October 2014)
- DGL 07/08 Mass Evacuation Planning
- DGL 08/16 Tsunami Evacuation Zones (pdf 3.9MB) [PDF, 4 MB] and (.docx 7.3MB) [DOCX, 7.3 MB]
- DGL 09/18 CDEM Group Planning (pdf 1.9 MB) [PDF, 2.9 MB]
- DGL 10/09 CDEM Exercises (pdf 800kB) [PDF, 822 KB]
- DGL 11/15 Welfare Services in an Emergency
- DGL 13/12 Declarations - this Director's Guideline has been superceded by the Factsheet and Quick Guide, which are available here.
- DGL 14/13 Public Information Management: Director's Guideline for Civil Defence Emergency Management Groups
- DGL 15/13 Volunteer Coordination in CDEM: Director's Guideline for Civil Defence Emergency Management Groups
- DGL 16/14 Lifeline Utilities and Civil Defence Emergency Management Groups
- DGL 17/15 Logistics in CDEM
- DGL 18/15 Emergency Movement Control [PDF, 1.4 MB]
- DGL 19/15 Response Planning in CDEM Director's Guideline for Civil Defence Emergency Management Groups
- DGL 20/17 Strategic Planning for Recovery Director's Guideline for Civil Defence Emergency Management Groups
Best Practice Guides supplement the CDEM Act, Regulations and Director's Guidelines. They are informative in nature, not being issued under the Act's authority. They serve to provide information, current best practice examples and advice on how to carry out a range of CDEM tasks and are usually developed in partnership with a range of agencies.
Director's Technical Standards are issued by the Director of CDEM (s9(3)), and set out the requirements for technical matters. They aim to achieve national consistency across New Zealand, and are required to be taken into account when preparing any CDEM Group Plans (s53(2) of the CDEM Act 2002).
Information series documents supplement the CDEM Act, Regulations and Director's Guidelines. They are informative in nature, not being issued under the Act's authority. They serve to provide information, current best practice examples and advice on how to carry out a range of CDEM tasks and are usually developed in partnership with a range of agencies.
- IS 05/05 Focus on Recovery: A holistic framework for recovery in New Zealand (.pdf 1.6mb) [PDF, 1.7 MB]
- IS 06/05 Organisational Debriefing (.pdf 360kb) [PDF, 359 KB]
- IS 07/06 Pandemic Planning Guide
- IS 10/09 Public Alerting: Options Assessment
- IS 11/16 CDEM Resilience Fund: Information Series
- IS 12/13 Including Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) Communities
- IS 13/13 Including People with Disabilities
- IS 14/13 Rapid Impact Assessment: Information for the CDEM sector
- IS 15/16 Civil Defence Emergency Management Awards
These factsheets are issued by the Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Managment to provide outline various processes. They are informative in nature, not being issued under the CDEM Act's authority.
- Government financial support factsheets - These factsheets outline the systems, processes and work scope eligibility criteria as they relate to government financial support to local authorities during or after an emergency.
- Airbnb-MCDEM Memorandum of Understanding Factsheet - This factsheet provides information about the Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management and Airbnb.
State of Emergency factsheet and quickguide
This factsheet explains why declarations of states of local emergency should be made, who should make them and how they should be made. It also explains and clarifies some of the issues involved in declaring a state of local emergency. This factsheet replaces the Declarations Director's Guideline [DGL 13/12]. The quick guide includes quick guidance for declaring a state of local emergency including key tests and considerations.
- Factsheet: Declearing a State of Local Emergency (PDF 313kb) [PDF, 313 KB]
- Declaration Form Templates (docx 36kb) [DOCX, 36 KB] [DOCX, 36 KB]
- Quick Guide to Declaring a state of Local Emergency (PDF 135kb) [PDF, 135 KB]
Transition period factsheet and quickguide
This factsheet provides guidance to CDEM Groups on the CDEM Act 2002 requirements relating to local transition periods. These documents should be used when declaring or giving notice, extending or terminating a local transition period.