Schools and early learning services
The Ministry of Education provided a range of support to early learning services and schools for staff, children and board members to support their well-being, including extra staffing and counselling support.
The regional office in Christchurch provided support for the Hurunui District and surrounding region, including:
- staffing release to ensure staff can attend appointments related to the earthquake, such as insurance or EQC meetings, and to give time away for health and wellbeing
- administrative support
- additional staffing
- support for staff counselling
- ensuring schools have access to the wellbeing@school resource.
The Nelson office supported schools and early learning services in the Marlborough and Kaikōura areas, including:
- contracting and funding a local Kaikōura psychologist
- running workshops on wellbeing for schools in the Kaikōura Community of Learning
- access to the Wellbeing@School tool/resource.
The Ministry of Education has regional representation on the North Canterbury/Kaikōura Psychosocial Steering Group, led by the Canterbury District Health Board. It continues to work with local mental health services and other key government agencies.