Auckland severe weather - What support is available and where can you get help

Auckland Severe Weather Event January 2023. Find out what support is available and where can you get help:

Auckland Civil Defence and Emergency Management Group

Auckland Emergency Management is coordinating assistance to communities affected by the January 2023 severe weather event.

Water supply and wastewater network

Watercare’s water treatment plants are operating and your water is safe to drink. 

Cleaning up after a flood

It is important to clean and dry your house and everything in it. Floodwater may contain sewage and other hazardous materials which can contaminate your home.

Traffic and travel updates

As the situation continues to evolve, Auckland Emergency Management advises that people keep up to date with the latest travel advice by following Auckland Transport on Twitter @AT_TravelAlerts and by checking the Waka Kotahi website.

  • We are anticipating further rainfall so please keep an eye on the weather forecast
  • Please only return to your property if it is safe to do so
  • Do not drive through floodwaters and remember it could be contaminated
  • Hazards and debris could also be beneath the surface

Information for domestic and international visitors

If you are travelling to New Zealand via Auckland please check with your airline, travel agent and
travel insurer directly about any disruptions that may impact you.

If you are in New Zealand and travelling in Auckland and other parts of the North Island , please stay
safe by checking with Waka Kotahi about any impacts to highways.

Some businesses like restaurants or tourism operators may be affected, please check to ensure they
are operating.

New Zealand’s i-SITE visitor information network is also available for you to talk to about alternative
travel options in New Zealand.

If your life is at risk, phone New Zealand’s emergency services on 111. The National Emergency
Management Agency website has links to regularly updated information such as emergency accommodation and welfare support.

Where to get help and support

Insurance and lodging a claim

Tenancy information

If you are the tenant or landlord of a rental property, you can find information on your rights and obligations at or by phoning 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262).

Schools and early childhood education centres

The Ministry of Education supports all schools and early learning services to help them recover from the event. Parents and caregivers should check with their school or early learning service for updated information.

Check with your school or early childhood centre to see if they have been affected by the floods.

Education has put up a link on their website for this event:

Severe weather event: Cyclone Gabrielle update – Education in New Zealand

Local healthcare Services

Health care services across Auckland are continuing to provide care if you need it.

All hospitals, including emergency departments remain open. If you are seriously unwell and need emergency care please dial 111. 


The following information will also help you with general wellbeing.

Māori community / Iwi support

Te Puni Kokiri are actively assessing the situation and contacting local marae, and iwi. Information will be updated as it is received.

Pacific support

Ministry for Pacific Peoples is the Crown’s principal advisor on policies and interventions aimed at improving outcomes for Pacific peoples in Aotearoa. We have strong networks with Pacific communities around the country and expertise in understanding of Pacific people, customs, and values influence public policy, programme, and service decisions affecting Pacific Aotearoa.

Ministry for Pacific Peoples are actively reaching out to Pacific leaders, communities, and service providers to gather information. Currently, support is available through the following services:

Ethnic Communities support

The Ministry for Ethnic Communities are sending out various communications to all our communities which will outline support available for them over the coming days.

The Ministry for Ethnic Communities are also liaising with key agencies and civil defence centres to ensure that specific needs are met for ethnic communities such as food, spaces for prayers and interpreters.

Check out the Ministry’s website for information on Cyclone and Flood support.

Support for Disabled People

Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People have advised the following:

  • If you are impacted personally, please contact emergency services on 111. If you have difficulty hearing or talking on the phone, try the 111 TXT service to contact Fire, Ambulance or Police:
  • In the first instance, please up to date with the latest information and advice at
  • Disabled people and whānau can contact Whakarongorau Aotearoa, New Zealand Telehealth Services if you need support on 0800 111 213, Text 8988. Or access it with the New Zealand Relay Service at
  • The three current Civil Defence Centres are all accessible. People going there with assist dogs should take them. Please remember other essential items you may need, such as devices, medicine, warm clothing, and baby items

The Community Support Package for people impacted by North Island floods and Cyclone Gabrielle includes support for disabled people, community groups and other providers.

Information on this package of support for disabled people and their whānau is available at 

Foreign Nationals

Foreign Nationals requiring assistance should contact their Embassy or High Commission. 

Contact details can be found at Embassies | New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (

Visitors to New Zealand should contact their travel insurer if their travel has been disrupted.

Animal welfare

Your animals are your responsibility. You need to include them in your planning in the event of an emergency.

  • If you have to evacuate, take your pets with you – if you can do so safely – or take them to a safe shelter place.
  • If you have to leave your animals behind, make sure they’re in a secure and sheltered place either inside or outside your home.
  • If you have livestock or horses in paddocks near waterways that have the potential to flood (streams, rivers etc.), move them to higher ground.

For more information see Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) factsheet: Animals affected by flood -

Published: Jan 29, 2023, 7:43 PM