Proposed National Disaster Resilience Strategy
Have your say about the future of civil defence emergency management in New Zealand. Public consultation on a proposed National Disaster Resilience Strategy for New Zealand is now open.
Closing date for submissions is 7 December 2018
The National Disaster Resilience Strategy sets New Zealand’s vision and long-term goals for civil defence emergency management. It has a strong focus on building community and societal disaster resilience to protect New Zealand’s prosperity and wellbeing.
The strategy is made under the Civil Defence Emergency Management Act 2002 by the Minister of Civil Defence. It will replace the national civil defence emergency management strategy that expires on 9 April 2019.
Have your say
Before the strategy is finalised, we want to know what you think. Your input will help us to make the strategy relevant, and better able to meet its objectives, for all New Zealanders. After submissions have closed, we will analyse the information received and advise the Minister on changes to improve the proposed strategy before it is finalised early next year.
The questions below are a guide to help you make your submission. You can answer as many or as few as you like, or you may prefer just to comment on the proposed strategy.
You can email your submission to NationalStrategy@dpmc.govt.nz or you can post your submission to:National Disaster Resilience Strategy submissionsMinistry of Civil Defence & Emergency ManagementPO Box 5010Wellington 6145
Use of information
Your submission, including your name and any contact details, will become public information. That means that a member of the public may request a copy of your submission from us under the Official Information Act 1982.
Please tell us if you do not want your name and/or contact details included in any Official Information Act 1982 release and we will do our best not to disclose this information (if a request is received).
We intend to create a submission summary from the submissions received. Any submission summary we create may mention your submission, but will not include your name and any contact details. We may release the submission summary and/or copies of submissions (excluding names and contact details) without first receiving a request to do so.
- Do you agree with the purpose, vision and goal of the proposed strategy? If not, which of these do you disagree with and what changes would you suggest? We would also appreciate your views if you do agree with these factors.
- Do you agree with the priorities of the proposed strategy? If not, which of these do you disagree with and what changes would you suggest? We would also appreciate your views if you do agree with these factors.
- Do you agree with the objectives and success factors of the proposed strategy? If not, which of these do you disagree with and what changes would you suggest? We would also appreciate your views if you do agree with these factors.
- Do you agree that a broader range of stakeholders needs to be involved in governance of the strategy? If so, what ideas do you have for achieving this aim? We would also appreciate your views if you disagree with this proposition.
- Are there particular strengths of the proposed strategy that you would like to comment on?
- Are there any gaps or challenges with the current national civil defence emergency management strategy current strategy that are not addressed by the proposed strategy?
If you have any questions about making a submission, or would like more information, please email NationalStrategy@dpmc.govt.nz