Public Information Management (PIM)
This information is adapted from Public Information Management: Information for the CDEM Sector. Go to the PIM Guidelines download page.
Key national PIM contact details
NCMC media and PIM telephone: 04 494 6951
NCMC e-mail: email@example.com
When NCMC has been activated, calls to the telephone number will be answered by a person not a voice mail system. If the call is not answered, the system automatically hunts for a free extension where the call can be taken. The shared PIM e-mail inbox is accessed by anyone carrying out the PIM role in NCMC. That helps avoid the problem of e-mails possibly being sent to a person who is not there or is busy on another task and is not clearing their e-mails as they come in.
Please note that these contacts are for when Ministry staff are working from the NCMC during an emergency. They are not day-to-day office contacts.
Public information management during an emergency involves collecting, analysing, and disseminating information to the public. It promotes effective leadership and decision-making, and enables the people affected by the emergency to understand what is happening and take the appropriate actions to protect themselves.
The goal of the PIM is to:
- to create strong public confidence in the emergency management response
- to support public safety with public information
- to positively influence public behaviour with public information
- to manage public expectations
- providing timely, accurate, and clear information to those who need it
- promoting effective information management between government agencies, CDEM Groups, emergency services, lifeline utilities, the media, and the public
In an emergency, as PIM Manager you are responsible for:
- dealing with the media
- issuing public information to the community and managing community relations
- managing the public information centre and team
- the public enquiry helpline
- visitor reception at the emergency operations centre
- site visits by VIPs and media
- plan, practise, and prepare for an emergency
- ensure you develop the necessary skills
Writing a media release
Plain English writing guide
Broadcasting MOU templates
PIM Guidelines download page
Section 22: PIM of the Guide to the National CDEM Plan (pdf)