The Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management (MCDEM) has issued a Tsunami Potential Threat to New Zealand advisory for North Cape, Auckland West, East Cape, Gisborne, Auckland East, New Plymouth, Wellington.
The Potential Threat advisory will remain in effect until:
- It is upgraded to a Tsunami Warning, or
- A cancellation message is issued by MCDEM.
Meanwhile, people in coastal areas should:
- Note that a tsunami is possible
- Listen to the radio/TV for further assessment and updates
- Follow instructions of their local Civil Defence authorities
An earthquake has occurred with these parameters:
|Origin time:||0112 ZULU 06 FEB 2013|
|NZ time:||1412 NZDT 06 FEB 2013|
|Co-ordinates:||10.9 SOUTH 165.1 EAST|
|Location:||SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS|
The above magnitude is provisional and may be increased or decreased as more seismic data becomes available.